Start date:October 2017
Research Topic:A Critique of the Social Discourse of Museums
Research Supervisor:Professor Bella Dicks
Supervising school:School of Social Sciences, Cardiff University
Primary funding source:ESRC Wales DTP
Research keywords:Museum Studies
My research is an inquiry into, and a critique of the current social discourse of museums, in collaboration with the National Museum of Wales. Some of the central questions my research aims to address, include:
- Of what do museum’s speak when they speak of ‘society’?
- What are the principal determining factors that have influenced the contemporary societal discourse of museums?
- What is the ‘social purpose’ of museums?
- What can be said to constitute ‘social engagement’?
- Can the social practice of museums be said to verify their societal discourse?