In addition to the training we provide ourselves, as a Wales DTP student you can access to a wide variety of other training opportunities.
Graduate Training Programmes
As a research student at a Wales DTP institution, you will have access to the full range of training provided by your institution’s graduate training programme.
- Aberystwyth University: Postgraduate Skills Training Programme.
- Bangor University: Doctoral School Training and Development Programme.
- Cardiff University: The Doctoral Academy Programme.
- Cardiff Metropolitan University: Postgraduate Training and Skills Week.
- University of Gloucestershire: Postgraduate Study Support.
- Swansea University: Postgraduate Research Student Skills Development.
More Social Science Training in Wales
Our colleagues at the Wales Institute of Social & Economic Research, Data & Methods (WISERD) offer a series of workshops, seminars and conferences, aimed at those with an interest in the social sciences.
Social Science Training Across the UK
The ESRC funds a range of data and methods services to support research and study. It provides resources needed to access high quality socio-economic data and to develop research skills. These services are:
- The UK Data Service: provides access to a collection of over 6,000 high quality socio-economic data sets. It supports data users and works to improve data management.
- The Centre for Longitudinal Studies (CLS) manages four British cohort studies: the 1958 National Child Development Study, the 1970 British Cohort Study, Next Steps, and the Millennium Cohort Study.
- CLOSER supports the use of longitudinal research. Key resources include reading lists and summaries of findings, and a search portal to help find out what data has been collected across all nine studies in the CLOSER partnership.
- Understanding Society is a major longitudinal survey of around 40,000 UK households. The site contains information on the survey, as well as research articles, reports and policy briefings based on this survey.
- The Administrative Data Research Network enables accredited researchers to securely access de-identified administrative data for research that has potential benefit to society.
- Census and Administrative data LongitudinaL Studies Hub enables researchers to access census based longitudinal data selected from census records over time as well as linked material from other administrative datasets (such as health data).
- The National Centre for Research Methods supports researchers in developing their research skills. It hosts an extensive database of research methods training courses (see below).
Each service provides support and delivers training, including joint training and can be contacted if you are interested in bespoke training.
The National Centre for Research Methods
The National Centre for Research Methods (NCRM) run their own training events. As a postgraduate social science researcher at a UK based higher education institution, you can attend these at a cost of no more than £30 per day. Here are the most recently listed:
The NCRM also list research methods training offered by the entire UK-wide network of Doctoral Training Centres. Here are the most recently added training events:
All of these, and many other events, can be viewed in NCRM training database.
Other programmes of seminars, workshops, courses and other events are run by: